If it makes you laugh or inspires you-that's great. If it confuses you-that's probably normal. If it puts you to sleep-don't read it (especially while driving or operating heavy machinery)...it is more a personal outlet for myself, in a far from serious, light hearted format. I'm not going out of my way to promote this, nor am I raising money. Posts may come three times a week or three times a season. If a byproduct of you reading this is D-grade entertainment, then forget about your other forms of D-grade entertainment (old colouring-in books, Yo Ho Diablo's and Britney Spears CDs) and feel free to subscribe, share or stop by every once in awhile.

Monday 23 December 2013

Raising the bat in an freakish ice storm

In 2 days it’s Christmas. In 4 days I’m flying out of Toronto and heading (eventually) back home to Sydney for at least a year. What does all this mean? Life is pretty sweet! But it also means that there’s been of errands and organising and tying of loose ends to be done. Moving out of our apartment, selling possessions online, getting as much study done as humanly possible, driving to Toronto (twice) to get Chinese VISAs, organising Christmas presents, etc etc. It’s been a busy time! I realise someone like me who is currently unemployed complaining about being too busy is kind of like listening to a supermodel complain that she’s a fatty, but whatever, it’s all relative. (That is probably the first and last time I will ever compare myself to a supermodel by the way).

In short, it’s made my training/exercise/gym/running activities go the way of the dinosaurs- big and scary non-existent. Up to last week I had a fairly regular routine of doing a weights/gym session on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and doing some form of cardio on Tuesdays, Thursdays and generally Saturdays. In the blink of an eye I missed one day with moving out, missed another having to drive 6 hours and run errands in Toronto (running errands doesn’t count as running), and missed countless runs due to weather (ok, and a couple of hangovers).

I then realised that I was stuck on 99 runs for the year, and had been for the past 11 days of this mini-slump. Like a batsmen stuck nervously at the crease, I couldn’t get to 100 and raise the bat as easily as it had been to get to 99. But luckily I’m more of a Matty Hayden than a choking Shane Watson-type, and finally Sunday morning came around with no plans until a family Christmas that afternoon-perfect time for a run! Only problem was, there had been freezing rain falling all throughout Saturday night, resulting in one of the worst ice storms in recent history, and EVERYTHING outside was covered in 1-2cms of hard ice.
I nearly reconsidered heading out, but with a power outage and everyone reminded me how much I’d been bitching to go ice-skating all month (for the record, I still haven’t been) they said if I went for a run in these conditions, it’d be basically like ice-skating anyway.
So out I went, with the temperature a surprisingly warm 1 degree. Every branch of every tree was covered in ice. The powerlines, the cars, everything. Snow covering everything in winter is perfectly normal, but ice covering everything is rare (although I’ve seen it twice this year-the other time back in April). I can’t explain the science behind it, but I can scientifically confirm that every Canadian freaks out about it. No one drives on the roads, everyone stocks up on food and water and any plans they had get cancelled, as they are scared of the ice boogey man, or something like that. I guess some of it is warranted-we are still without power and don’t expect it back for 3-4 days.
I started my jog down the dirt road, now a mix of dirt, gravel and slushy ice. With the temperature rising, the ice was slowly but surely melting, and therefore breaking off violently in golf-ball sized chunks from every large tree I passed under. The more trees I passed, I realised how much damage the storm had caused-branches up to 20 feet long snapped off, and some trees fallen entirely, due to the extra weight of the ice they were now bearing. Although no powerlines were downed like in the last storm, I could hear the hum of a tractor idling at each and every house I passed, as the tractor had been hooked up to their back up generator. I only passed 5 houses, but still, 5 for 5 is pretty good.
Turning onto a sealed road, the ice became less dangerous underfoot, but was still keeping my eyes peeled above me. Even in treeless stretches I heard the crashing of ice onto the snow beside me, and couldn’t quite work out the reason. I then noticed the powerlines running parallel to the road-they were covered in a layer of ice as well, and when the wind picked up it would send long barbs of ice down below, some up to 4 foot long. So my choice was to run on the left side of the road and avoid the golf ball sized chunks falling non-stop from the trees, or run down the right hand side and avoid the long spears falling less frequently from the powerlines. Who said running wasn’t a contact sport?
Well on this morning it wasn’t…I managed a 10km out-and-back run and somehow managed to avoid getting hit. Considering it was my first run in forever I wasn’t setting any goals, and with the conditions (and lack of fitness) I was slower than Oprah to a salad bar, but I considered it an achievement to amazingly not get hit by any ice.
It was one of the more surreal runs out of the 100 I’ve done this year, and getting out and admiring this strange winter wonderland was definitely the right choice rather than staying indoors.
Ice Ice baby

Behind that thick, manly beard you'll see a tree bending due to the weight of the ice

Trees ready to unleash ice on anyone who passes them

Frozen car (even the antenna)

Wind the window down, and you still have a window. Freaky
 

No comments:

Post a Comment