If it makes you laugh or inspires you-that's great. If it confuses you-that's probably normal. If it puts you to sleep-don't read it (especially while driving or operating heavy machinery)...it is more a personal outlet for myself, in a far from serious, light hearted format. I'm not going out of my way to promote this, nor am I raising money. Posts may come three times a week or three times a season. If a byproduct of you reading this is D-grade entertainment, then forget about your other forms of D-grade entertainment (old colouring-in books, Yo Ho Diablo's and Britney Spears CDs) and feel free to subscribe, share or stop by every once in awhile.

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Marathon Bucket List


While watching some coverage of the New York City Marathon this past Sunday, I got thinking about a few things:
-Firstly, the fact that I was taking two hours out of my regular Sunday routine of watching nine straight hours of American football to watch a running event instead (with just seven hours of football watched) somehow made my sedentary Sunday feel much healthier and fitter from the comfort of my couch.
-Secondly, Africans dudes run fast.
-Thirdly, I got thinking about the marathons I’d most want to run if given the chance.
So thought I’d jot it down…this is a list of marathon distance (42.195kms) races only. There are plenty of Ultramarathons that I’d love to do (or planning to do), but that’s a different thing altogether.

1.Boston Marathon.

Visiting Boston for my second time in March this year, I had more of a chance just to “hang out” and enjoy this awesome city rather than sightsee. One of the coolest ways I took it all in was by going for a run, and of course, made sure that I traced some of the iconic course, even crossing the thick painted finish line on Boylston St and passing the Public Library towards the usual finishing area of Copley Square trying to imagine what it would feel like to complete it. Little did I know that exactly one month to the day after that very morning at exact spot I was running past, the already media heavy Boston Marathon would become worldwide news with the tragic bombings from those coward brothers. A lot of Americans will want to do this race for patriotic reasons now, but for me, nothing’s changed-I’d still just like to do it as it’s the most prestigious one in the sport. That’s if I ever committed myself to being able to run a qualifying marathon time (3:05:00 which is waaaaaaay out of my fitness level at this stage and more than I’m capable of right now).


2. New York City Marathon,

Another prestigious one on everyone’s list. It’d be neat to run along the traffic free streets through all five boroughs of New York City, which are usually packed every other day of the year. And no one would yell “Hey I’m walkin here!” in a grubby New York accent as you ran by.


3.  Midnight Sun Marathon, Tromsø, Norway.

This one has been on my list since I learned about it a couple of years ago. In one of the most northern towns of Norway, Tromsø, is north of the artic circle, meaning the town has days in summer with a continuous 24 hours of sunlight. You start running the race at midnight, and why not since it’s always light? And presumably all competitors are attractive Swedish girls. Sounds awesome! The only reason I could think of not to put this on the list was the fact I couldn’t work out how to type the letter “ø” for the word Tromsø in Micrøsøft Wørd. But nøw I knøw hø tø dø that, I’m gøing to use it a løt!


4. Everest Marathon, Nepal

The word’s highest marathon, with the start line over 5000 metres elevation and going mostly downhill from there. To acclimatise the runners have to take a 26 day holiday in Nepal (aw poor diddums), including a 15 trek to the start line near Everest Base Camp…right up my alley and more bang for ya buck with this entry fee!
 

5. Great Wall Marathon, China

Another two in one deal-as the Great Wall of China would be interesting to see. But with 5,164 big stone steps to overcome along the course, a PB would be out the window.


6. Athens Classic Marathon, Greece

Zipping around Greece where the history of the marathon all began would be sweet. If only they gave you bonus points for wearing a toga, I’d be all over that. Then finish the race with a kebab….mmmm…kebab
 

7.  Berlin Marathon, Germany

Apart from the fact Berlin is a pretty sweet place, this flat course is regarded as the fastest marathon course in the world, and most of the world records have been broken here over the past few years. Which sounds to me like it’s more than reasonable to think I could shave a good hour and a half off my PB and be a contender!
 
8. Australian Outback Marathon, Yulata, NT

Running round in the red dirt with Uluru as the backdrop. With a good chance of seeing some cool outback stuff or at least Ernie Dingo doing a Northern Territory Tourism promo shoot. Sounds good to me!


9. Capetown Marathon, South Africa

Not a particularly well renowned marathon or anything but after spending three weeks in this freaking awesome city in 2010 I’d just want to get back there and explore it by foot


10. Gold Coast Marathon, QLD

Out of all races on this list, let’s be honest, if any of them are going to happen for me, odds are it will be this one. A fast, flat course from what everyone says, and the Gold Coast would be a sweet place to celebrate afterwards.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment